Frequently Asked Questions


What is a Short-Term Rental?

A Short-Term Rental (STR) is a rental of all or a part of a legally licensed dwelling unit for periods of less than 30 consecutive days per occurrence. A Short-Term Rental License is required prior to advertising and renting your property.

Who can operate a Short-Term Rental in Thornton?

Only property owners can operate a short-term rental at their primary residence. The ordinance does not allow tenants, even those leasing long-term, to operate a short-term rental. An applicant shall be the individual who holds fee title to the property proposed to be used as a short-term rental. The applicant must be a natural person or the beneficiary of a trust whose name appears on the deed to the property where the short-term rental is to be located.

What does “primary residence” mean?

Each person can have only one primary residence, which is the location where they live for at least 50 percent of each year. The ordinance defines a primary residence as the place that a person by custom and practice, makes his or her principle domicile, and the address to which the person intends to return following any temporary absence, such as a vacation, and it shall be where the licensee resides in excess of 50 percent of the year. Residence is evidenced by actual daily physical presence, use and occupancy of the primary residence, and the use of the residential address for domestic purposes, such as, but not limited to slumber, preparation of meals, package delivery, vehicle and voter registration, or credit and utility billings.

What kinds of properties can be used as a Short-Term Rental?

All or a portion of a single-family attached or detached dwelling can be used as a short-term rental. The property owner’s approved accessory dwelling unit could also be used as a short-term rental, provided no part of the main home is used for that purpose. Short-term rentals cannot be operated in manufactured homes or apartments. Keep in mind that some homeowners’ associations may prohibit the operation of short-term rentals in their communities. Contact us at for questions about your specific property.

Who needs to apply for a Short-Term Rental License?

Any owner renting all or a portion of their primary residence for a period of thirty (30) days or less per occurrence is required to apply for a Short-Term Rental License. It is the owner(s)’ responsibility to know and comply with all ordinances and regulations that apply to short term rentals within the city of Thornton.

What if I do not obtain a Short-Term Rental License?

Renting or advertising your home for rent on a short-term basis without a license is in violation of the Thornton City Code. Violators are subject to the enforcement processes specified in City Code Section 18-54.

Do I also need to obtain a business license?

Yes. All persons engaged in business of any kind in the city are required to have a city business license. The STR License application will be routed to the city’s Finance Department staff for issuance of a business license, and they will contact you directly if additional information is required. You do not need to submit a separate business license application. There is no cost for the business license.

Do I need to collect and pay tax to the city of Thornton?

Yes. The city of Thornton imposes a 7% lodging tax on accommodation rentals of less than 30 consecutive days. Short-term rental operators are required to collect and remit the city lodging tax instead of the city sales tax. At a minimum, remittance is required on a quarterly basis. The city does not have arrangements with any short-term rental platforms, such as Airbnb and Vrbo, for the automatic collection and remittance of lodging tax.

What is the cost of a STR License?

There is an annual fee of $180 for each short-term rental license. Licenses are valid for one year from the date of issuance. If a renewal application is submitted within 30 days of the short-term rental license’s expiration, a late fee of $25 will be applied. 

Does my short-term rental license apply to multiple properties?

No. Thornton’s ordinance allows owners to rent only their primary residence. By definition, a person can only have one primary residence, therefore only one short-term rental is allowed.

Do I have to display my license?

No. However, the STR License number must be included with the notification of general rules and expectations, which must be posted in a conspicuous place within the short-term rental unit at all times. Additionally, the license number must be clearly displayed in all advertisements for the short-term rental. 

How many people can stay overnight in my short-term rental?

The maximum allowable overnight occupancy for each short-term rental is calculated on the basis of two (2) persons per legal conforming bedroom plus two (2) additional persons.  For example, a two-bedroom home could have two guests per bedroom, plus two additional persons, for a total of six overnight guests.

Is there an occupancy limit other than overnight stays?

Yes. The total occupancy at the short-term rental is limited to ten more than the maximum allowed for overnight stays. For example, a two-bedroom home could have two guests per bedroom, plus two additional persons, for a total of six overnight guests. The total occupancy of the home during the day could not exceed 16 persons.

Can I rent to more than one person or group at a time?

No. Only one guest/group may rent at any given time. In other words, you cannot rent different portions of the dwelling (such as individual bedrooms, upper/lower floors, etc.) to different people.

Do I need to have insurance to operate a short-term rental?

Yes. Liability insurance coverage of a minimum of $1 million ($1,000,000) is required.

Can I pay by the license application fees by credit card?

Yes. Visa, Mastercard, and Discover cards are accepted. 

Where can I view the specific regulations for short-term rentals in Thornton?

The approved ordinance is available at this link, and the complete Thornton City Code is available online. For your reference, relevant requirements are listed below with the corresponding Thornton City Code section:

Licensing requirements (general): Section 18-54

  1. Licensing fees: Section 18-54(c) and (f)
  2. Application requirements: Section 18-54(d) and (g)
  3. License renewal: Section 18-54(f) and (g)
  4. Enforcement provisions: Section 18-54(h)

Operating requirements (general): Section 18-174

  1. Dwellings allowed as short-term rentals: Section 18-174(d)(1)
  2. Occupancy: Section 18-174(d)(2)
  3. Primary residence: Section 18-174(d)(5)
  4. Notification of general rules and expectations: Section 18-174(d)(11)
  5. Safety requirements: Section 18-174(d)(4)
  6. Advertising: Section 18-174(d)(7)
Accessory dwelling units: Section 18-17
Definitions: Section 18-901
Lodging tax: Section 26-466 et seq

Other commonly utilized Thornton City Code requirements are referenced on the city website, with links to relevant information.

What types of assistance can MUNIRevs provide to me?

MUNIRevs can assist you with all your system and account questions. Whether you have a question about your account or technical questions about how to do something in MUNIRevs, please reach out to our support team. We can always reach out to the city of Thornton on your behalf if we need their assistance with one of your questions. You can reach MUNIRevs at and by phone at (888) 751-1911.

Can a property have more than one user?

Yes, each property can have an unlimited number of users. Each user is required to provide the 6 digit Account Number and the LODGINGRevs Activation code to be authorized to connect to an existing property record. 

I did not receive or I misplaced the letter with my activation code. What do I do?

Contact MUNIRevs or by phone at (888) 751-1911 for assistance. You will need to confirm account details to be verified for the account. To protect the security on property accounts, you will need written (e-mail) permission from a registered owner of the property for us to provide you with a new activation code. 

How do I change the User on a Property?

All users need to register, just as you did, by going to the home page for that jurisdiction (i.e. They will click on the "Go" button under "New Users". They will also need the 6-digit account number and Activation Code for the property.

I forgot my password. What do I do? 

From the Log In page, click the “Forgot your password” link and follow the instructions that will be e-mailed to the User’s registered e-mail address.

Do I have to login to MUNIRevs to see my alerts and reminders?

No. All alerts are e-mailed to your authenticated e-mail address. When you login to the system, you will also see any open alerts that need to be addressed in your Action Center. 


For Assistance, Contact
 MUNIRevs Support

(888) 751-1911

When contacting support, be sure to include the jurisdiction (Thornton) and your account number in all emails or voicemails. This will help us assist you as promptly as possible. Thanks!